   >> Speed is not a concern, even at 1x, how long does it take to burn 15
   >> minutes worth of video?
   >
   > 15 minutes. :)  DVD 1x is A/V DVD play speed just like CD 1x is audio CD
   > play speed.  DVD 1x is something close to 10x faster than CD 1x.

   I haven't burned one lately so I may be a bit off but I would venture to
   say that it would be at least 30 minutes if you add in the time that it
   takes to do the encoding.

   I would also recommend ordering it from Newegg.com.  I've got a Plextor in
   my home desktop and have had no complaints.  I bought generic for my wife
   and kids PC's.  You will probably need to reserve part of your money for
   software such as Roxio or Nero.

   Dave Parnin
   --
   Nishikawa Standard Company
   Topeka, IN  46571

    "Jones, John \(US\)"
    <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx>                       To:        "PC Technical
    Sent by: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx  Discussion for iSeries Users"
                                          <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    03/28/2007 09:25 PM                           cc:
    Please respond to PC Technical                Subject:        Re:
    Discussion for iSeries Users          [PCTECH] Advice on external DVD
                                          burner

   > Speed is not a concern, even at 1x, how long does it take to burn 15
   minutes worth of video?
   15 minutes. :)  DVD 1x is A/V DVD play speed just like CD 1x is audio CD
   play speed.  DVD 1x is something close to 10x faster than CD 1x.

   Anyway, trusted brands for me would include Pioneer, Plextor, LiteOn,
   Samsung, and NEC.  Second tier would include BenQ and LG.  Get a USB 2
   External drive.  Make sure it does dual-layer; not so much for that 15
   minute job but for possible future use.
   Here's a list/price comparison:
   http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=7/popup1%5B%5D=23:
   355/popup7%5B%5D=20:394  Of the ones on that list I'd look at the LiteOn
   and Samsung units.
   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106056 and
   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151143 look
   good and easily fit your budget.