Peter.Colpaert@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
One big show-stopper would of course be that the host PC can't boot from
USB.

True, but that would have to be a fairly old PC.  Most modern PC's that
I've seen have that ability.

This is the case here at work, the PC they've given me is 6 years old next
month! Of course, I'm "only a contractor", so why waste a new pc on me...

Your a CONTRACTor ... put hardware specifications in the CONTRACT. :)

And before anyone says that I should bring my own laptop to work, that's
a) not allowed by company policy here,

If the laptop isn't allowed, then using a bootable USB drive probably
isn't allowed either.  Heck, I've heard of situations where portable
hard drives weren't allowed either.

and b) my wife would have to go
upstairs to read her mail ;-)

Get your wife her own laptop.  Or, even better, do what I did ... get
yourself a new laptop and give your wife your old laptop.

(my wife poo-pooed the idea of a laptop for the longest time ... until I
gave her my old one [not all that old, really] and now she loves it)

david