Re: Wireless cafe internet access security

fixed

Jerry,

Yes - vpn is ok if I'm on the road and the site I connect to offers
SSL/VPN type stuff.

Or you could VPN into somplace with a proxy server, so that everything is
encrypted until you reach that location and have it unsecured only from the
proxy to the website being visited.  This will typically perform better with
a corporate VPN endpoint, because it is more likely to have a higher
outgoing data rate for sending on to you.  The typical home broadband is
fast downlink speed with much slower uplink.

Of course, that still leaves the unencrypted traffic vulnerable to sniffing
along part of its journey.  So it is like a postcard which is sealed only
until in the mail system.  From then on, you have no control over who might
be able to read it.

Doug