Vern,

> Doug, agreed all the way. I confirmed that the "remote" machine has to be
> at least XP Pro - Home edition does not have it.

Yes, or W2K Server or W3K server (not W2K Pro for example).

>the Remote Desktop seems to be related to Terminal Services

Correct -- that is what it was called under W2K server.  The Remote
Desktop in XP Pro is kinda like a one-user version of that, as I
understand it.

> It seems he is talking about being in his house while doing this, so maybe
> everything is inside any router. Did it hit you the same way?

Correct; inside a LAN should not be a problem.  From outside the Lan,
you need to open up port 3389 and redirect to the choice of host.  Or
some other port, if you don't use the default of 3389.

> For something that is free, I don't think Remote Desktop can be beat for
> working on a remote computer.

I've bought every version of pcA since very early DOS versions, before
Symantec bought it from DMA.   And I still will more often connect to
my computer via Remote Desktop than with pcA -- it really works pretty
well though I do miss my multi-monitor setup when I'm working
remotely...

Doug