Doug, agreed all the way. I confirmed that the "remote" machine has to be at least XP Pro - Home edition does not have it. I don't know about W2K Server - the Remote Desktop seems to be related to Terminal Services or something like that.

It seems he is talking about being in his house while doing this, so maybe everything is inside any router. Did it hit you the same way?

For something that is free, I don't think Remote Desktop can be beat for working on a remote computer.

Later
Vern

At 08:09 PM 11/19/2004, you wrote:
Vern,

> Remote Desktop ...
> requires XP (probably Pro) on the home PC.

Or W3K server (or maybe W2K server?).

>And your laptop needs the client - included with XP (again, probably Pro).
>But you can get the clients from  MS for free.

Clients are available free for Windows versions as far back as Win98, I think.

> Finally, when you start you laptop client, you need the IP address of your
> home PC on your local network. Very cool!

And if behind a router, you need to have port forwarding established.
I change the default ports (using the registry), and use different
ports forwarded to different machines so I can select which one to
access.

I've used pcAnywhere since it's DOS days, butRemote Desktop runs
significantly faster, which is especially noticable if you don't have
a fast broadband link.  Plus it even does stuff like your sound
remotely.  It doesn't have all the features of pcA, but for what it
does, it does it pretty well.

Doug