You are right.  Using the 800 would hurt nto a thing. My original intention
was just to convey to the initial person, and other readers, that if they
had hardware less than your 800 mhz recommendation, to not worry because it
will still work fine.

As for "If you cant stand the thought of using Open Source software, then
> don't use it."  I have no clue where that came from. The discussion had
nothing to do with Open Source verse non open source.  I was just referring
to your previous comment about using older hardware and HDD failure.  I
merely made a comment saying that if HDD failure is a major concern, the
person may want to take into account that appliances are a good solution
since they rarely use HDDs and you have less moving parts.  There are plenty
of appliances out there that run Linux as their OS.

"Pay $2,000 to Cisco, plus support costs and
> consulting/training costs."

And that training/consulting is a red herring.  As much time as it takes for
you to teach yourself to be good with Linux and IP Tables you can teach
yourself PIX.

I wasn't lookign to try to get into a nitpickign of ideals or points of
view.  I just wanted to let the person know that 800 is not mandatory.  If
he had a smaller piece of junk comptuer lying around, to feel safe in using
it and nto worry about performance.