Hi Mark -

Interesting. I know you can wipe AIX (and I suspect any box) using root, rm
This may have changed over the years with some vendors.
Now, I am curious if IBM missed that? Will the iSeries version do this?

Looking first at the RMVLNK and RMVDIR OS/400 commands, while the statements are not as explicit as with CLRLIB and DLTLIB, I don't think you can clear or delete QSYS or other system libraries with any of those commands.

As for a Linux partition on an iSeries machine ... I have no idea. But even if you can, you wouldn't be hosing OS/400, you would be hosing Linux. And you would only be hosing that partition.

But getting back to what started this discussion ...

If a person deletes the operating system programs, that person should reasonably expect the operating system to be hosed.

If a person deletes a certificate in a web browser, I don't think that person should reasonably be expected to intuitively realize that an encrypted file system will become inaccessible.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind.