Just skimmed this
(http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/tfh040504-story04.html), but it don't
help the situation much at first glance.

I'm looking forward to when Indian, Chinese, and perhaps Russian, companies
uproot the dominance of American "think-tank-consultancies" like Gartner et
al.  Wonder how Gartner's gonna view the situation, in 3 to 5 years say,
if/when their profits have gone off-shore...  They might have a different
take on the situation, altogether.

Very similar thing happened, btw, with O'Reilly et al seeing their
book-publishing biz getting "Open" Sourced.  (What goes around often comes
around pretty quick!)  Mebbe they'll make it up setting up conferences and
selling coffee-cups, but I'm sorta doubtful about that, long term.