The thread "Migrating from AS/400 to MicroFocus" on
midrange-L has prodded this response.

For people posting these messages, please remember there's
usually more going on than fits in a couple of lines. Once a
controller almost told me to post a message. I had to go
back and tell him I had exhausted all the resources.

For example, a group of programmers came into my programming
courses on the (then new) AS/400 from a local distillery
company. They worked on a S/36. They had just gotten a new
MIS Director, and he did everything he could to push them
into a DEC. The "programmer class" rebelled, and they
finally got their AS400.

For people posting these messages, please remember there's
usually more going on than fits in a couple of lines.

During the year 2000 I was instructed to move the fiscal
year (from an October-to-September), to sync with the new
parent company. The controller just couldn't understand why
(as the sole programmer) it would take so long. (Change
history or do a short year or a long year? How to handle
history displays? The files where summary totals for each
period in a fiscal year are kept in twelve buckets per
record? You know...) Especially when in another package used
to support the sister company it was *lots* easier and
quicker.

I had things analyzed , he instisted on me contacting
everybody and everything (user groups, the original package
writers, and the midrange-L list included. With a sigh, I
posted, and got a big bunch of sympathetic answers, helpful
in seeing other "war" stories too.