Hello Patrik

I don't think I made these comments, they might have been in an email I was responding to.

But to respond, CVTRPGSRC doesn't convert anything to RPG III+, whatever that is (it's not an official version according to IBM) - here is the opening statement of the help text for CVTRPGSRC -

The Convert RPG Source (CVTRPGSRC) command converts RPG III or RPG/400 source code to ILE RPG source code.

I did search for references to RPG III+ and found a post by our honored Charles Wilt from 2014, where he posted terms he uses personally to differentiate things - https://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/201404/msg00090.html

BM, in the ILE RPG Reference, says this -

This reference provides a detailed description of the RPG IV language. It does not provide information on how to use the ILE RPG compiler or how to convert RPG III programs to ILE RPG

This, to me, seems to differentiate between the language that is used to create compiled objects that operate in an environment, the Integrated Language Environment, which describes how objects created from different source types can all work together - ah, there's the word, "Environment".

So does it matter? Probably not all that much. I see RPG IV as a language with various syntax rules. It can have fixed or free form - it still can have both, even after the **free enhancement.

We civilians do seem to have a way of modifying IBM's terminology for whatever reasons - IBM's acronym for Access Client Solutions is ACS, yet some in the community call it iACS. I have considered that an unnecessary change but can understand it. Another example could be IBM's own doing - IBM i will often be displayed without the space - as IBMi - because people get very tired of undoing MS Word's auto-conversion of a single letter "i" to uppercase - we all know about this, so I've said enough on a Saturday morning.

Best to y'all (practicing my Texas accent for POWERUp in Fort Worth!(
VErn