Sorry, but yes a single lpar machine with no HMC does upgrade firmware with
PTF's. There's a SST thingy which says whether to get your PTF's via IBM i
or HMC. While setting it to IBM i is great for your situation you'd be a
fool to set it to that if you have an HMC. See the command DSPFMWSTS. I
should have pointed you to that initially. I ASS/U/MEd you had a HMC based
on some earlier discussion. Or maybe I thought I was talking to someone
else.

And, yes, you want to do PWRDWNSYS RESTART(*YES *FULL) IPLSRC(B) CONFIRM(N)
However, before doing that make sure you SAFELY bring your system into
restricted state. Some releases back they published that you can damage
your system by issuing ENDSBS prior to ENDTCP. And I managed to do this.
If you feel disabling telnet (5250) is not a big deal then don't worry
about it. Well, unless other stuff can get damaged also and I just didn't
experience that too. For recommended steps go to
GO SAVE
Press F1 on 21. Entire system
Follow the stuff after "This option runs the following commands:"

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 9:07 AM Greg Wilburn <