Hello Don,

Am 05.02.2024 um 01:03 schrieb Don Brown via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I would agree with you normally but immediately after she prints form Windows the printer responds to the ping from IBMi.

Is this a new printer or has this worked before?

How many connection to the LAN does the i have? If >1, how is this configured?

I have observed similar behavior myself in different scenarios, eventhough a printer was not involved yet.

Due to the intermittent nature of this "doesn't work" — comes seemingly at will, works for an unknown but probably very long time — I have not yet managed to finally find the root cause, but I suspect a L2 issue on the network switches involved. The only thing I managed to reliably deduce was that that ARP requests from the "doesn't work device" (the printer in your case) don't make it to the requesting device (the I in your case), unless another device in the LAN (Windows machine in your case) requests an ARP resolve.

In one case, a powerline based LAN extender was replaced with a proper cable and the problem never reappeared.

In another case, multiple parallel uplinks from a switch to a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall triggered a similar behavior for the default gateway *sometimes*. There was no loop, each port was configured as trunk and each port let only one Vlan pass. By removing the multiple uplinks for distributing the network traffic to more ports, the problem never reappeared. That's why I ask for multiple uplinks on the i.

In any case, ask the/your network guys for assistance, the culprit is most likely there.

:wq! PoC