@ArdGate (AppServer4RPG)
ArdGate is based on IBM's "client integration exit" and this doesn't support BLOB/CLOB. As a conclusion of this you can't get images with embedded SQL via ArdGate.
@Infosphere: this would need an additional p-series as server in the middle - and might be very expensive, ask your ibm representive.

Using RPG/Java Mix via JNI (Scoott's open source included), you should have in mind, that starting a JVM is time consuming and starting lots of JVMs limits scalability. AppServer4RPG is a Framework to make calls from RPG to a single prestarted JVM with high speed and (nearly) unlimited scalability. It could be extended for your needs - but Java knowledge is a must have.

There is a work around with ArdGate: use embedded SQL from RPG to put the image in a temporary streamfile on a shared drive to move it from MSSQL to your AS400 (or i or whatever). Some MS SQL knowledge would be needed anyway.

Assistance would be possible, but might need some money, depending on effort.

Maybe MS SQL linked server could be another option.

D*B

<Charles>
To connect from IBM i to SQL Server all you need is a JDBC type 4 driver
for MS SQL Server...

Then you have to decide how to invoke it
- From a Java program
- through a DRDA Gateway
- Directly from RPG

I wouldn't recommend the last option.

For the second option, you've got the following choices...
purchasing and installing an external IBM Infosphere Federation Server
Or locally install on your i a DRDA Gateway product
- the commercial https://razlee.com/isecurity-db-gate/
- the open source https://sourceforge.net/projects/appserver4rpg/
</Charles>