That makes sense. The 5010 always prompted me to update, and I assume that
it would have prompted to go past 8.2 if it could.

date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 06:22:47 -0300
from: Roberto Jos? Etcheverry Romero <yggdrasil.raiker@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: EOS for SWMA Storwize V5010

Justin,
You are right where you can be. That machine (2078-124) can't install
anything higher than 8.2.1 as per

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/hardware-interoperability-matrix-storwize-v5000-software-levels
You might get a FW update once in a blue moon if a big defect is found but
it is mostly a done deal. I would do an analysis and see how much you can
save by going HWMA only towards a new box that can run 8.6 (The new boxes,
even the low end 5045 can run the anti ransomware solutions).
TL DR; You can't update, until a new 8.2.1.x release comes out