Hello Gerald,

Am 06.10.2023 um 22:44 schrieb Gerald Magnuson <gmagqcy.midrange@xxxxxxxxx>:

Directory does exist, allowed to create.
the output file does create, it's just not readable.
(silly question???) shouldn't the file I receive, if viewed with
notepad, start with "-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----"?
the complete contents of encrypted file are gibberish.

Uhm. I'd say yes, it should. But this might not be true for all occasions, e. g. when the file is also signed? I'm on thin ice here. It's been quite some time since I filled with that stuff. Also, gpg can deduce which key to use for decryption, so I think the input file is valid.

Another thought: Perhaps the order of options is also relevant?

To rule out some very nasty possibility: Could you try to decrypt the file on some Linux box, or a Mac? Just to check if the output is valid in ASCII and maybe just ends up with the wrong charset on OS/400? Aka, "inside" is some flavor of EBCDIC (because this is the native tongue of the i) but the file is created with an erroneous charset in its metadata?

:wq! PoC