Hello Jack,

Am 31.08.2023 um 18:42 schrieb Jack Woehr via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

1. A one-time license can be regarded as a capital expenditure. A subscription is an operating cost. It may well be advantageous to the enterprise to have the licensing as a subscription cost (taxes, amortization of permanent license, etc.)

While this is generally correct, I see no reason to make subscription the only option. What's wrong in letting the customer have a choice?

2. I don't see anything wrong with IBM making some revenue. If the revenue stream becomes inadequate, the platform will be retired.

There is a difference between "some revenue" and greed. When looking around, I lately sense an increase in greed in the industry, while the benefits for the customers are hardly detectable, or even catastrophic — see the Microsoft master-key disaster.

I am *not* accusing IBM to act like that, but the step taken suggests a general direction.

:wq! PoC