On 8/28/2023 1:17 PM, Dean Eshleman via MIDRANGE-L wrote:

If CCSID 37 can handle accented characters, do you know how to change an application to allow them to be entered? I’m talking about a 5250 application. Is it a different key sequence than what you use for Windows? I tried Ctrl + ` and then type the letter. I just get the letter on my 5250 screen.

That key combination is for Microsoft Office.

There are Alt-key sequences (yuck!) - hold down Alt, then type on the numeric keypad (not the top row of the keyboard), then release Alt. For example, é is Alt+130

Our accented characters come from data imports, but if your people are using accented characters for IBM data, they are probably doing so in other apps like web forms. I'd usually suggest installing a secondary language to make their lives easier. That way, they have the same experience no matter where they type accented characters.

That said, this Super User page may give some ideas: https://superuser.com/questions/110605/how-do-i-type-accented-characters-in-windows

Seriously consider Birgitta's reply suggesting UTF-8. This allows the DB to store characters beyond the Latin-1 character set.