This fascination with NAS leaves me flummoxed. Sure it's cheap. That's the
word cheap, not inexpensive, cheap!

You WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECOVER from those backups. Period.

Why you would trust the system to a backup method that will not allow a
recovery is beyond me.

If I were in that position I would see to it SENIOR (read: CEO/Chairman)
management understands the ramifications of this type of back up scheme and
see if they find it acceptable. Make sure to let them know that in the
event of a real problem your recoverability is at best in question, and it
will take substantially longer to recover if it's even possible.

Do you back up the SAN to tape every day? Loose that and the POWER system
and how do you recover now, even at a single file level?

Larry and I see this all the time, and it never ends well. Usually with at
least one person fired. The last time I saw this tried, over 4 million
objects from both QSYS and the IFS were lost forever. Yea, multiple people
were fired.

Sorry for the rant but I just don't get it.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects