On 09-May-2016 17:50 -0500, Don Brown wrote:

I have submitted a Request For Enhancement (RFE) and would like to
request anyone who can see the benefit of this request to vote for it
... please.

The request can be viewed here:
[http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=88074]

The request it to enable a job description to be specified either on
the device description for Writers (LAN, Remote, IPDS AFP) or on the
start command. This is to enable the library list to be controlled
for specific writers.

We have multiple environments, development, test/QA and production
and multiple versions within that structure. We have objects related
to the writer job and mapping programs in a similar library
structure.

With the ability to specify a job description to a writer a specific
writer can be linked to specific environment.

Would the use of the Override With Printer File (OVRPRTF) [or perhaps the Create Printer File (CRTPRTF) or Change Printer File (CHGPRTF)] to specify a User Resource Library List (USRRSCLIBL) suffice?; e.g.:

OVRPRTF *PRTF USRRSCLIBL(THIS_LIB THAT_LIB OTHER_LIB ELSE_LIB)

FWiW: As I recall the design for printing, the print writers were intended to be somewhat immune to the library list (LIBL); thus why there was minimal Work Management (WM) control provided for starting the writer jobs. IIRC, resource resolution was [intended to have been] performed\assigned at the time of SPLF creation, using the library list of the job that created the spooled file (*JOBLIBL). And resolution during the run-time was limited to the special case whereby the previously resolved resource could not be found.? Even so, there is the capability to specify a PSF Configuration (PSFCFG) object {Create PSF Configuration (CRTPSFCFG)] for the device [or printer file], via the User-defined object (USRDFNOBJ) specification; that includes also, an ability to specify a Device Resource Library List (DEVRSCLIBL).

Note: There is also the capability to Change Routing Entry (CHGRTGE) on the spooling subsystem description (QSPL) which would allow to customize the jobs entering by assigning the program (PGM) to do that work in place of the current specification; that program need only Transfer Control (TFRCTL) to the same request processing program [likely QCMD] that is defined currently, after the work to modify the environment is completed. Not ideal for effecting test vs production or similar, but still doable.