Has anyone used STRASPBAL - option 3. Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) balancing and/or 4. Media Preference (MP) balancing ?

Or is there a better tool for the job?

Here is my dilemma.
I would like to configure a mixture of HDD and SDD for my new Power8 R&D LPAR. Currently about 13 tb.
R&D has 7 full copies of Production Data. (used for various reasons)
Each copy is about 1 TB.
I would like to be able force one or more than copy to SSD, as needed, following RSTLIBBRM, the others to HDD.
Also force IBM LIC and OS to SSD.

Is this even possible?

3. Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) balancing - The 'high'
use and 'low' use data on each unit in the ASP is
redistributed so that the 'high' use data resides on high
performance units and the 'low' use data resides on low
performance units. The ASP being balanced in this manner must
contain the correct mixture of slow and fast units to perform
this type of balance. This allows the 'low' use data on the
high performance units to be moved to low performance units.
Data that is 'high' use that resides on slow units will be
moved to the fast disk units. HSM balancing cannot be done
until the trace controlled by the Trace ASP Balance
(TRCASPBAL) command has collected usage statistics. The
TRCASPBAL command starts the trace function that will identify
the 'high' and 'low' use data on each unit. After the HSM
balance activity has run to completion, the trace information
will be cleared. HSM balancing is allowed when the ASP
contains compressed disk units or when it contains a mixture
of Solid State Disk (SSD) units and Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
units. The SUBTYPE keyword is used to specify which units are
to participate in the balance.

4. Media Preference (MP) balancing - The operating system (OS
assigns a 'media preference' attribute to data. When an ASP
has a mix of high performance and low performance disk units,
the OS attempts to place data with a high performance media
preference on fast disk units. Due to space limitations, disk
configuration changes and attempts to take advantage of the
speed of high performance units, data on the high performance
units may not always be exclusively data with a high
performance 'media preference' attribute. MP finds data on
high performance disk units that does not have the high
performance media preference attribute and moves that data to
low performance disk units. The ASP being balanced in this
manner must contain a mixture of Solid State Disk (SSD) units
and Hard Disk Drive (HDD) units. The SUBTYPE keyword is used
to specify the extent of the balance. When SUBTYPE(*CALC) is
specified, data without a high performance media preference is
moved from SSD units to HDD units and data with a high
performance media preference is moved from the HDD units to
SSD units. When SUBTYPE(*SSD) is specified, data without a
high performance media preference is moved from SSD units to
HDD units. When SUBTYPE(*HDD) is specified, data with a high
performance media preference is moved from HDD units to the
SSD units.

Thank You
_____
Paul Steinmetz