This is a follow-up to the resolution to my issue. I took Tim's advice
and tried the latest free ARP-ZIP tool which has a feature for setting the
CCSID of the file name itself. I changed the default CCSID on the command
from 1252 to 850 as recommended and the file kept the accent character.
IBM said, "This problem is not specific to the IBM i or the QSH
environment. You can recreate exactly the same problem using the "jar"
command from a Windows or Linux PC.
This is an issue with jar command (no matter the OS), although, I am not
sure it is a "problem" with jar since jar is able to extract the contents
without problem. More, an interaction between jar and the utility you are
using to view the contents of the "jar-ed" file."
So, it seems, IBM is saying, use something else and ARP-ZIP is a free
alternative to the Java jar and has further features such as encryption
type, compression level, etc.

Thanks,
Craig

Tim wrote:
Hi Craig,
I can't directly answer your question because I don't use jar for zipping
but I'm familiar with the problem with file name ccsids in archives. If
you haven't got a jar solution then you could try the free ARP-ZIP tool.
It let's you set a ccsid for file names independently of file contents and
it's easy to script.

Tim