Hi,

I have done this in CentOS, and as I recall it was fairly simple. The .so file should be the driver file provided by IBM. I have several .so files listed:

[root@carleynet etc]# locate .so | grep Access
/opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbcore.so
/opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbodbc.so
/opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbodbcs.so
/opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbrc.so
/opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbxda.so

If you have those files, I would imagine that the iSeries Access was installed correctly on your Debian system. In addition, you need odbc.ini:

[root@carleynet etc]# cat odbc.ini
[Name for connection]
Description = iSeries Access ODBC Driver
Driver = iSeries Access ODBC Driver
System = <System IP address>
UserID = <User ID for access>
Password = <Password for that user>
Naming = 0
DefaultLibraries = QGPL
Database =
ConnectionType = 0
CommitMode = 2
ExtendedDynamic = 1
DefaultPkgLibrary = QGPL
DefaultPackage = A/Default(IBM),2,0,1,0,512
AllowDataCompression = 1
MaxFieldLength = 32
BlockFetch = 1
BlockSizeKB = 128
ExtendedColInfo = 0
LibraryView = 0
AllowUnsupportedChar = 0
ForceTranslation = 0
Trace = 0
DSN = <Name for connection>

It's been a while, but looking through my history doesn't show that much more was needed. CentOS is different than Debian, so file locations may be slightly different. The version of iSeries access I am using is 5.4.0-1.6. Once everything was installed, and the odbc.ini file was configured correctly, I had no issues connecting to my system.

Good luck,
Clay