I see two parts to this:
First, is trapping the changes. To me, journals are the only way to go.
Second, is getting the changes to SQL Server.

Rob, I think that your 2-part delineation makes a lot of sense. But
regarding journals being the only way to go, it appears to me that the
journal APIs may be overly convoluted and complex.

I should admit that I have never coded a handler for RCVJRNE, for example.
But the documentation is hard to understand, there appear to be a lot of
cases in the archives indicating troubled attempts at using RCVJRNE, and
not much relevant sample code.

Some sources suggest that RCVJRNE might be used to register an exit-point
program, similar to how the ADDPFTRG (Add PF Trigger) command registers
handlers for DB events. Other sources suggest that you use RCVJRNE within a
loop in a NEP. Which is the correct method?

With regards,

Nathan.