On 11-Jul-2014 14:22 -0500, John McKee wrote:
<<SNIP>>

Looking at other journal receivers, I see a few large ones in
QRECOVERY. Specifically, QDBJxxxxxx and QSQJRN0391. Biggest is
QDBJXQ0001.

I do not recall specifically the latter naming, but I am almost sure I recall what the associated journal is for; the *DBXREF queue (QDBXREFQ* x/0AC4) journaling. With the associated Journal (*JRN) name, finding [if there is any] more specific documentation\information would be easiest.

Is there a process that is supposed to be run to detach these
receivers, or is that just done manually?

Each journal environment for which those [system] receivers are established, should include the Manage Receivers (MNGRCV) setting of *SYSTEM and the Delete Receivers (DLTRCV) setting of *YES; refer to the Work With Journal Attributes for the *JRN associated with each of the noted\named Journal Receiver (*JRNRCV) objects. Thus there should be only one journal receiver object that is active\attached per journal object. The maximum size of the journal receiver before deletion will be determined by the Receiver Size Options of the journal and the Threshold attribute of the journal receiver; see the Display Journal Receiver Attributes (DSPJRNA) for the threshold and the associated Journal object.

Note that the QRECOVERY library is omitted from the Backup phase of B&R [thus effectively, the origin for the system library name prefix paired with the word "RECOVERY"].

With the default journal environment, the request to Change Journal (CHGJRN) to request attaching a new generated-name or an explicitly named journal receiver will enable reducing the current storage for a[n at least partially] full receiver to the storage of an empty receiver. For example, the request to CHGJRN QSYS2/QSQJRN JRNRCV(*GEN) would effect a new empty receiver with the next receiver name and the previously attached receiver would be detached and deleted. Of course, over time, the receiver will again fill-up approaching the maximum allowed size before system-managed change to a new receiver. Although the journaling environments could be customized [from the defaults], normally that would only be done to enable problem investigation or to circumvent a problem with any negative effects per the defaults.