The boss said to do it so yes, it is necessary. "'Shut up' he explained" remains my favorite quotation of all time. :)

One question that comes to mind is: Will the records need to be processed sequentially? I ask this because I have seen files with several fields as key and the first or second key is unique. Or, conversely, uniqueness requires all fields, and processing with less than the full key leads to unexpected results. In other words, design decisions that didn't do what the designer thought they were doing.

I put this out there as a discussion point, in case there are some implications you might want to prepare for as a result of this design decision.