Process FTP Output log

fixed

I am looking for a quick way to process output FTP session
"logs".

We have a "never-ending" job which monitors for customer
deliveries which are ready and creates and sends an EDI 856
ASN (actually an imitation) via FTP.

One need is to know if the FTP was successful.

This job creates two spool files for each FTP step, one with input
commands and the other with output. During the course of a day
there are over 200 of these files so I need to read the most recent
FTP output spool, which can be identified by the three parts of file:
Name, Device or Queue and User Data.

My current idea is to scan for 'bytes transferred'

I've worked with spool API's but not here and not for some time but
a link to the API name and any/all hints will be much appreciated.