RE: Failed disk in a 9406-170

fixed

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Porterfield, Sean wrote:

The archive post you reference basically says to go into SST (or DST from manual IPL if not doing concurrent) and tell the system you want to remove a disk. It should have a value for how long to wait, then it flashes the light on the drive. You remove the failing disk. Then you go back in and tell it you want to add a disk, from a very similar screen. Stage the disk in the slot but do not fully insert prior to selecting the add option. Then when it flashes, you put the new disk in.

Well I goofed this part up. I spoke over the phone with a local IBMer who explained this procedure to me. My system doesn't have any lights and he said not to worry about some systems didn't. It looks like I removed the drive at the wrong time and now no matter what I try I can't add a new disk or remove the old one from the disk configuration. Now I'm thinking that only the expansion tower supports concurrent maintenance since it does have the lights, but the "normal" side doesn't which is the side I'm working on. So now I'm concerned I've hosed the backplane. I've IPLed and still the old drive appears in the disk configuration and not the new drive. I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think of to do is put the new drive in the expansion side and see if the system recognizes it.

James Rich

if you want to understand why that is, there are many good books on
the design of operating systems. please pass them along to redmond
when you're done reading them :)
- Paul Davis on ardour-dev