Thanks Chuck - the api option looks like what I need.

Jim Franz

----- Original Message ----- From: "CRPence" <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: midrange.midrange-l
To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: moving QDLS folders to a different ASP

On 20-May-2014 09:44 -0500, Jim Franz wrote:
We have a product still using QDLS to store docs (and not an
immediate option to replace the product). The QDOC lib in ASP1 is
overflowed by several hundred thousand docs. We have a 2nd ASP and a
QDOC002 but the product kept writing to the ASP where the folders
originated.

The knowledgecenter doc describing transfer of a /QDLS folder from
one ASP to another requires a restricted system.

My question is to anyone who has been through this, is restricted
system really required? That seems suspect... although QDOC is
"unique"...

<http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_71/rzarm/rzarmtsffld.htm>:
_Transferring a folder to a different auxiliary storage pool_
"Use this procedure to move a folder to a different auxiliary
storage pool (ASP).

This example moves the HRFLR folder from ASP 1 to ASP 2. Do not move IBM-supplied folders (those starting with Q) to a user ASP. These folders must be in the system ASP.

1. Save the private authorities for the folder:
SAVSECDTA DEV(TAP01)
2. Save the folder:
SAVDLO DLO(*ALL) FLR(HRFLR) DEV(TAP01).
* Consider saving the object twice to 2 different media volumes.
3. Delete the folder:
DLTDLO DLO(*ALL) FLR(HRFLR)
* Do not skip this step. If you restore a document library object
(DLO) to an ASP and it already exists in another ASP, you receive an
error message. The restore operation continues with the next DLO. If
you issue a restore command for a large number of DLOs, you will
receive a large number of error messages.
4. Place the system in a restricted state:
ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED.
5. Restore the private authorities you saved in step 1:
RSTUSRPRF USRPRF(*ALL) DEV(TAP01)
6. Restore the folder to the new user ASP:
RSTDLO DLO(*ALL) SAVFLR(HRFLR) RSTASP(2)
7. Restore authority to the folder and its objects:
RSTAUT

You can move more than one folder at a time by specifying multiple
folders on the Save Document Library Object (SAVDLO) and Restore
Document Library Object (RSTDLO) commands. If you save DLOs from
more than one ASP, you must specify sequence numbers on the RSTDLO
command.
Parent topic: _Transferring objects between auxiliary storage pools_
"

With that particular means, indeed, restricted state is required;
i.e. the Restore Authority (RSTAUT) command processing requires the
dedicated-system. However a means that effects the same, but with a
different implementation, could easily enough avoid the requirement for
a restricted state. While the Save Object and Save Library interfaces
added the capability to save object authorities [for /QSYS.LIB objects],
and the Save capability for non-QSYS.LIB file systems did as well
*except* the Save Document Library Objects (SAVDLO) and Restore (RSTDLO)
were not enhanced with the equivalent Private Authorities (PVTAUT)
parameter. As such, the means are not nearly as simple as with that
newer support for objects outside of the QDLS file system [i.e. objects
other than *FLR and *DOC]; i.e. just backup with private authorities
included, delete existing, restore to another ASP with private authorities.

However, for a top-level Folder, there is an API to do just that.
Thus possibly, avoiding having to code the Retrieve DLO Authority
(RTVDLOAUT) and whatever else to effect the proper authorization of the
restored objects in your own code; i.e. *if* operating against such a
folder is helpful, versus having to operate against sub-folders or
individual document objects.

<http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/qhsmmovf.htm>
_Move Folder to ASP (QHSMMOVF) API_
"The Move Folder to ASP (QHSMMOVF) API moves a root folder and its
contents from its existing auxiliary storage pool (ASP) to the specified
target ASP through a save and restore process. The API, however, *will
retain private authorities to the objects* that would *normally be lost
with a save and restore operation*.
..."

The BRMS has a Migrate Using BRM (MGRBRM) command that utilizes the
above API, thus an even simpler interface may exist if that product is
available to you.
<http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/cl/mgrbrm.htm>
_Migrate using BRM_ (MGRBRM)
"...
The Migrate using BRM (MGRBRM) command allows you to migrate a library
or first level folder to a specified auxiliary storage pool. This
command is used by BRMS migration processing and by you to request
migration of a specific library or folder as needed. You can specify the
auxiliary storage pool to which you want to migrate the library or folder.

When the MGRBRM command is used BRMS ignores low storage threshold
constraints for the auxiliary storage pool from which the item is being
moved, but does honor the target auxiliary storage pool's high storage
threshold.

To use this command, you must have the Backup Recovery and Media
Services for IBM i licensed program installed.

Restriction:
. The BRMS Advanced feature (Option 2) is required to use this command."