Here's how I would do it (and have many times)...

Move the data to a new PF with a new larger PO field..

Create a new LF with the same name as the original PF, leaving out the new
larger PO field. Repoint the existing logicals to the new PF in addition
to leaving out the new larger PO field. All logicals will need to have the
fields explicitly listed so they have there own format instead of sharing
the physical's format.

Unless you've made a mistake, all the file format ID's should match the
originals and thus no programs need be recompiled.

Now you can add a new logical or two, also with fields listed, that
includes the new PO field. Any programs that need the larger# will use
these. You can either load the short field in your programs or use a
trigger on the PF to keep the short field in sync.

I usually take the opportunity to move the PF from DDS to SQL DDL.

The only catch I've found that if you've started replacing LF with SQL
indexes for RPG RLA....while you can specify only certain fields the system
puts the keys at the front; If that's not where they were originally, you
format level IDs won't match.

Charles