Re: how to increase field size without increasing the field size

fixed

On 4/28/2014 12:31 PM, Steve Richter wrote:
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Alan Campin <alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just watching this one thread and you have the real costs. Billions spent
dealing with problems like this where we should just be able to increase
the field size and recompile the few programs that use the PO fields which
is what anyone else using SQL on other systems is doing.

exactly. The other thing the RPG IO programmer does is when he needs a
new field in the file he finds an existing field that is not being
used. For example, we needed to add the "outbound UOM" recently to
the product master. Instead of adding a column with a descriptive name
we found an unused field in the file. Outbound UOM is now stored in
the PRWUTS field.

I've been an RPG programmer for over 35 years and I have not seen this
done for more than 20. I'm not trying to dismiss your experience; I'm
reminding you that others' experiences differ.

--buck