One way is to map your keyboard - you can set up almost anything there.

That assumes keyboard entry - well, you do want it on the screen

Hex mode can be set, same as it used to be as Rob suggested. Go to your keyboard mapping and look at the list of functions - I just put Hex mode on Alt-x

Capital Letter A Tilde is alt-x 66 now on my keyboard map

You can make a macro for any special character, too - the content would be APL 66 for this character - just tried it.