What is so special about the word "From"? (was: Removing a procedure from a service program)

fixed

On 20-Feb-2014 11:43 -0800, Charles Wilt wrote:
<<SNIP>> it won't.

From a stand point of never having <<SNIP>>

I have seen an effect that seems very pervasive, whereby any line starting with the word "from" seems to be prefixed by the greater-than sign. Anybody aware of what originates that very bizarre modification; I highly doubt this is something people are choosing to do by themselves and that instead this is the effect of some client [email] software? It has a conspicuously deleterious effect on USENET styling of message quoting [which is what the archives quoting depends on], because the text appears to be something that was quoted from a prior message rather than being part of the message. See that effect in the archive of the above quoted message:
<http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201402/msg00531.html>