If my configuration has one of each pair on a different loop, then I would need 2 hot spares, correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sue Baker
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 2:52 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Configuring Hot spare protection

"Steinmetz, Paul" <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Tue, 04 Feb
2014 18:37:00 GMT:

I thought you needed a hot spare for each Raid set, or is that not

Minimum of 1 hot spare per adapter (SCSI and PCI-x SAS) or adapter pair (PCIe SAS adapters) for RAID5 protection.

Mirroring hot spare works differently and you could get by with just 1 drive designated as the hot spare for the whole ASP. I recommend 1 spare drive per loop to give best odds of maintaining loop level mirroring.

IBM Americas Advanced Technical Skills (ATS) Power Systems Rochester, MN
or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at