From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 11:32 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Configuring Hot spare protection

Hot spare requires that at least one disk, generally two with SAS, is available on each Pair of RAID Cards. Hot Spares can protect all the RAID sets controlled by the RAID cards. That is to stay hot sparing is done at the Card level not the RAID set level.

Iif all the slots controlled by a RAID card (or card pair) are occupied then to activate Hot Spare protection you must drain one drive from the system and remove it from RAID protection before you can flag it to be a hot spare.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com