And there are only 3 chapters to read when reading about UIM!!

HTH
Vern

On 1/29/2014 6:04 PM, Sarah Kemp wrote:
Yes I have seen it, and you aren't kidding about it taking a while - that document is almost 800 pages of I-don't-know-what-I'm-looking-for! The screen I am attempting to re-create is not a complicated one (no windows or tabs or dropdowns) - I am just trying to establish a maintainable format. I have seen only two mentions of trying to create a setup like this and I think they both came from web developers trying to work with green screens (and of course the results were not posted). IBM documentation has not been helpful to me, unfortunately, because anything written with modern application design in mind does not use DDS for the UI.

I can get two screens to display at once with the information available, but I cannot determine how to have a set of default file-level keywords and available function keys that I could add to every screen I make (without copy-paste). I think this would require having both the base screen (with the defaults set) and the main screen "active" at the same time, but it seems it is only possible to have a single screen active at a time (is this what you mean when you mention using windows? Do they allow the function keys from the screen below to remain active?). Either that, or there is maybe some way to set these parameters in the RPG before the EXFMT? Otherwise, I believe my only option is a precompiler.

Thanks,
Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vernon Hamberg
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:28 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Common Display File (Header + File-level Keywords)

Sarah - have you seen the "Application Display Programming" manual from IBM? It would answer most of what you are asking, although it might take you a while to get to each area.

But there are examples there of doing various things that might help you.

You are going from web to 5250 - the usual thing today is from 5250 to web, and often parts of the 5250 screen are parceled out to index tabs, say, to give better landscape.

Now it is possible to have windows overlay a screen, and those windows can have the smaller bits or the things you would have had in tabs - maybe that's a way to go - take your tabs and make DSPF windows of those, then assign F-keys to make them be displayed over the main screen.

HTH
Vern