From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark S Waterbury
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:36 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Common Display File (Header + File-level Keywords)

Hi, Sarah:

Here is a link to "DDS for display files":
http://pc.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzakc/rzakc.pdf

Here is a link to "Application Display Programming":
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzakc/sc415715.pdf

To supplement what Vern suggested, you might want to pay particular attention to Part 3: Programming Application Displays using Panel Groups. This section of the manual describes how to use the User Interface Manager (UIM) -- this is what IBM uses internally for many of the display and "work with" panels you see in OS/400 or IBM i. It is a very different way to develop a user interface, compared with DDS display files. The screen layout is described with a "tagged" language, and it has sections that can be %included -- so this may be more to your liking, as you can develop your own "in house" standards, etc.

In addition to the above reference, I suggest you try to find a (used) copy of the book "Unleash the power of UIM" by Richard Schaler, (c) 1994 by MC Press. -- this has been "out of print" for some time and is hard to find, but perhaps you might get lucky and find a copy in a local library, or try using "inter-library loan"? It is written in more of a tutorial style, compared with the "reference manual" above.

Also, search for magazine articles by Carsten Flensburg and others, who have published various tools and utilities that use the UIM, as it really helps to have a "working example" to learn from, when learning to use UIM.

The way your program(s) will interact with UIM is closer to the way a web application interacts with a browser e.g. via a CGI interface, at least, conceptually. With UIM, you populate a number of "variables" in a "variable pool" and then you ask UIM to display a panel, and if the panel contains any "substitution variables" (it almost always does), it fetches the values of those "variables" from that dialog manager variable pool.
(If you have ever worked on IBM mainframes and used ISPF/PDF, then this concept should sound rather familiar.)

I hope this helps,

Mark S. Waterbury