From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barbara Morris
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 7:31 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: optional parm in CLLE

On 1/24/2014 8:29 AM, Alan Cassidy wrote:

I just did this:
SNDPGMMSG MSG( 'Did not receive 3 parameters') TOPGMQ(*EXT)

Worked at least.

I just want to make sure that it's clear that this technique should
absolutely never be used.

It often seems to work in testing, but it's almost guaranteed to give a
false positive at some point, indicating that a parameter was passed
when it wasn't.

What's especially bad about this technique is that if your program
modifies a parameter that was not actually passed, you can cause bizarre

and unpredictable errors that might show up long after your program has