Thanks Brad.

If your i is acting as a server and receiving requests, the IBM HTTP
server would be your best bet. Then use whatever you want on the back
end (RPG/COBOL, etC) to generate the response and send it. No
different than CGI programs.

Our i has IBM HTTP Server, but SysAdmin tells me that we don't have any applications where an external request initiates processing, other than our existing web site, which from what I understand initiates a sign-on through DataGate.
Looks like I'll need to investigate how that would be set up.

This would also allow the transport to be HTTPS and takes complexity
out of writing your own listeners.

As for th PDFs, it would be probably be better if you sent back in your
XML URLs for the PDF files that you are creating (on the fly I'm
guessing) so the client can simply make another request to the server
and have them served up. No need for you to "send" them in your
response unless you want to put them inside of your XML data.

The PDFs are created as part of the monthly bill generation. They're in the IFS ready to pass to the client. Are you suggesting that the customer's browser would then access the pdf on the IFS through a URL? If so, are there risks that the browser could then access other files?

Your idea is nothing new. It's done all the time on every type of
system.
:)

I suspected as much. Just hasn't been done here (or by me).
Thanks.
- Michael
Brad
www.bvstools.com