I think I'd go the opposite direction...pushing back to the auditors to see
why they think this setting is a "good thing"

As Dan points outs, the system value really only affects Unix type and/or
Java apps. The entire IBM i OS is built around sharing. It doesn't make
sense to disallow it for one small class of apps.

The vulnerability mentioned, "APIs might potentially pose a risk to your
system and assets. A programmer can have write access and can add, change,
and delete entries in the shared memory or stream file." sounds scary.
Except I think it it leaves out the fact that with the i's object level
security, the programmer would still have to have the authority to change
to stream file in the first place.

Also, Carol Woodbury mentions, "For example, while the most secure setting
for the QSHRMEMCTL (shared memory) system value is ‘Off’, many features
won’t work – the APACHE admin instance won’t start, PASE applications
break, etc. Many of our clients use these considerations published in their
Risk Assessor documentation to justify to their auditors why they can’t set
certain system values to more stringent settings. "
http://www.readtech.com/pr/sv/OS400SecurityComplianceGuide.pdf

HTH,
Charles