On 03-Jan-2014 13:43 -0800, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
Subsystem QSYSWRK was active, once ended, i5/OS install continued.
Any idea what might cause QSYSWRK to go active, which caused the
i5/OS install to fail.

AFaIK any use of the Start Subsystem (STRSBS) command [or the equivalent OS method; e.g. as the effect of implementing processing of another command request] would effect the automatic start of the "required" subsystem QSYSWRK. That is, whenever the system is deemed by the OS to have "come out of restricted-state", the OS will automatically start the QSYSWRK subsystem. An effect I personally have found to be annoying, ever since its inception; sometime in V4 IIRC.

I thought there was a specific message diagnosing the QSYSWRK as a "required subsystem" that must be started, but all I could find was the msg CPI0906 "*ATTENTION* Controlling subsystem &1 should be started." which could be the message that implies the related outcome. That automatic-start effect however, probably is accompanied by completion msg CPF1103 "Subsystem QSYSWRK started" logged to the joblog, following whatever command request was issued, that caused the auto-start of that subsystem. Accompanied as well, by the history log msg CPF1804 "Subsystem QSYSWRK in library QSYS starting" typically seen as a side effect of an IPL [having _not_ been an IPL into restricted state] with the /cause/ suggesting that the "Subsystem QSYSWRK in library QSYS is starting. The Start Subsystem (STRSBS) command was requested from job 000000/QSYS/SCPF by user QSYS" immediately after the msg CPF0934 "IPL completed." If the effect was from something requested at the console however, the job and user named would presumably reflect that console job vs the Start CPF (SCPF) job.

I had trouble finding explicit doc references, just allusion to the effect [even if exaggerated; i.e. ignoring restricted-state; e.g. per IPL attribute Start to restricted state (STRRSTD) or achieved after ENDSYS or ENDSBS *ALL], but not the how\why:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzaku/rzakustrsbs.htm
_Starting subsystems_
"... QSYSWRK and the controlling subsystem are always started for you by the operating system. ..."

<http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzaii/rzaiimstsvrjobsubsys.htm>
_Subsystems used for server Jobs_
"...
_Automatically starting subsystems_

The QSYSWRK subsystem starts automatically when you IPL, regardless of the value specified for the controlling subsystem.
..."

Some other references; the first is mine, the latter is per Dawn May, and unlike the InfoCenter doc links above, the latter properly includes the description of the effect when /starting from restricted state/ beyond just an implication of effect after an IPL [while having ignored the possibility of "Start to restricted state"]:

"... Starting only the ... subsystem can be ... followed by ENDSBS QSYSWRK to end that 'automatically started' subsystem; ..."

<http://ibmsystemsmag.blogs.com/i_can/2012/11/starting-tcp-when-the-system-is-ipled.html>
"... When starting from an IPL or restricted state, work management also starts the QSYSWRK subsystem. ..."