Re: If everything is working fine, why do PTF's?

fixed

Hi Paul -
That is actually kind of an easy one. ;)

If everything is working, then there really is no need to apply PTFs. Sort of a "if it is not broken, do not fix it" type of attitude.

But they need to be aware that if something breaks, or if they want or need to upgrade pretty much anything in the future, it will cost more. That is because at least some of the PTFs will have to be applied to do what they want to do.

So leave them with the choice, a little bit of business disruption with a small potential to cause a disaster on a regular basis, or a potentially very large disruption at some point in the future.

If they ask you to break down the risk into detailed scenarios, be sure to mention that is chargeable time and will probably cost more than just installing the PTFs, but will look great on the disaster recovery plan documents.

If they still don't want to do it, then don't.

-Paul R.