With stupiddate defined as a decimal 8.0 field:

With SQL:
with T1 as (
select substr(char(stupiddate),1,6) as yearmonth
from rob/htf)
select yearmonth, count(*) as nbrper
from t1
group by yearmonth
order by yearmonth

You could also do it this way in SQL:
select substr(char(stupiddate),1,6) as yearmonth,
count(*) as nbrper
from rob/htf
group by substr(char(stupiddate),1,6)
order by substr(char(stupiddate),1,6)