Simple use of substr problem

fixed

HI I am trying to use in this field, ittrnd, it is yyyymmdd. I need to
total according to year/month
so i want to substr that but this is not allowing me, any idea why?

YYMM substr(ittrnd,1,6) yyyymm 6
00

Bottom

Field Text Len
Dec
ITPRT# PART NUMBER 15

ITQTY# QUANTITY 13
2
ITTRNS TRANSACTION TYPE 4

ITTRND TRANSACTION DATE 8
0

More...
F3=Exit F5=Report F9=Insert F11=Display names
only
F12=Cancel F13=Layout F20=Reorganize F24=More keys

SUBSTR value is not allowed.