Not a pure "i" solution, but I do incremental forever backups on our multi-terabyte document images. The new information put into the system is staged into a staging area, and updates into the main system only once a month or so, usually timed with our monthly backups.

The end result is that the vast majority of the storage never goes offline, and never presents a service interruption.

Given that, we use Tivoli and do online backups, and we use VTLs which are perfectly capable of replicating the data to other VTLs without any system being involved. It's slightly expensive in terms of a capital purchase, but after than, it is very inexpensive to operate that way.

Perhaps there is a "i" analog to this? Or Tivoli is available on the "i". ;)

-Paul