Doesn't anyone read threads that may not apply to them that particular
minute?
Is it time once again for our every other week discussion about saving to
save files or virtual tape is probably not as fast as tape because modern
tape drives, controlled by a bus different than the one controlling disk,
will often blow the doors off of save files?
Then the discussion as to why virtual tape is often faster than save
files? (Yet still not as fast as physical tape drives.)
Yes there are a lot of controlling factors to the speed.
- Disk drives, 10k vs 15k vs SSD.
- Disk controllers
- Tape controllers
- Bus separation from disk and tape
- Processor
Many years ago when I had a 3590 the processor I had it on couldn't drive
it at rated speed. And it wasn't a slouch at the time. We've recently
upgraded from LTO3 to LTO4. Definitely not leading edge, and I sure
didn't see the speed difference believed to be in there, but a good move
nonetheless.