I agree that on current systems trying to chop up a few small virtualized
platforms, following my earlier recommendations can seem like it chops up
a bunch of disk. And internal guested (vios or IBM i hosted) or external
disk doesn't seem to matter - those recommendations still apply.

But are 70GB drives still sold new by IBM today? After having played with
disk drives in the >800GB range last week it starts to boggle the mind.
Carving out (70GB * 6 drives) or 420GB out of a six drive 847GB set
(5.1TB) is only 8%.

Don't just keep chanting the mantra "more disk arms is better
performance". You'd better be prepared to PROVE to me that eight hundred
fifty 9336-010 942MB drives will out perform six current 800+GB drives.
You're talking to a guy who once dropped from a system with 42 older disks
to 7 newer disks and got much better performance.