Rube goldberg machine came to mind when you detailed this method :-)

From: Pete Helgren <pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 8:44 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Direct connect mag stripe reader

It depends upon what the device is running. I use timeclocks from
Icontime and basically it runs Busybox (a very lightweight Linux distro)
I have a Java servlet on IBM i that goes out and polls the the clocks
and retrieves the data using a CGI program (so basically each clock has
a tiny web server). The CGI "program" is just a bash script. It's all
pretty easy.

So the first question would be how to query the device (it is a little
vague about it). It *might*even be running something like Busybox. At
that point, I could even share the scripts I use.

Pete Helgren
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java