Mike,

It depends upon what the device is running. I use timeclocks from Icontime and basically it runs Busybox (a very lightweight Linux distro) http://www.icontime.com/index.php/products/automated-time-clocks/universal-time-clocks/rtc-1000-2-0-universal-time-clock. I have a Java servlet on IBM i that goes out and polls the the clocks and retrieves the data using a CGI program (so basically each clock has a tiny web server). The CGI "program" is just a bash script. It's all pretty easy.

So the first question would be how to query the device (it is a little vague about it). It *might*even be running something like Busybox. At that point, I could even share the scripts I use.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java