Re: output date field from a flat file into a variable

fixed

As others have noted, DCLF and RCVF on admfile may be the answer.

If, however, you are doing some complicated SQL over a largish file to get your date (which seems a bit unlikely if admfile is a flat file) an SQL command with this might work:
create table qtemp/zz_Date as (
SELECT
substr(admadmrec, 9,8) MyDate
from admfile
) with data

You'd still need a DCLF ZZ_Date and a RCVF.

Of course, this is a little trickier to compile.

Sam