On 19 Jul 2013 09:21, Stone, Joel wrote:
Maybe I am all wrong, don't know. But in Win7, the date shown on
Windows Explorer keeps the history.

In OS400, it seems all history is purged with CRTDUPOBJ and/or
SAVOBJ/RSTOBJ.

<<SNIP>>

Not /wrong/ per se, but certainly overlooking the obvious distinction of the IBM i OS as compared to many others. To be clear, the IBM i [OS/400, S/38] origin, is as an *object-based* system; quite different than most other.

Consider any tangible /object/ in everyday life, perhaps for example, a classic car. If someone creates a duplicate of that car, what exactly are the creation date, change date, and last-used date for both the old car and the new car? IMNSHO there is *no logical way* to argue that they should be the same.

Perhaps however there were some stickers on the rear\inside of the driver-side door which indicate the manufacture-date [and perhaps equivalents of the other attributes]. Arguably a /duplicate/ of that car which intends to fully mimic the old car might want to have its new stickers reflect the same values that are recorded on the original\old car. As I noted in my prior reply however, such additional attributes are separate from the known\reality, and there would be no integrity in referencing that sticker as an accurate reflection of reality, because the new sticker with the copied values would be a misrepresentation; i.e. the copied dates portray a false claim.